Coming of Age.

So I had my hair chopped in, brand new full fringe. Just what the doctor ordered, and it makes me look a little older. This is becoming an increasing concern as the baby begins to grow. Am I going to be a 'teen mum'? At the moment, many signs point to yes. I don't look older than I am. I'm not the kind of girl who'll pile on make-up or dress like a thirty year old. I'm claiming Job Seekers Allowance as of today, and that is a MASSIVE deal, when you've had a steady job for almost three years. And I'm eighteen. So I guess you could say that is what I am.
Being a teen mum has so many negative connotations. The first of which is that teenage girls fall pregnant in order to get a flat from the Council. FALSE. I am not seeking Council housing and refuse to write myself on to the housing waiting list, I'll do just fine staying with family until Aaron and I have raised the funds for a house deposit. Teenage mums also carry 'slagtags'. As soon as a teenager strolls down the high street with a buggy in tow, the same judgement is passed. Not all teenage mums are entirely reckless. Accidents happen, and good on the girls for dealing with the consequences. In general, being a teenage mum is not a good look.
HOWEVER. I am on a mission to shake the negative tag. I think, all in all, I'll make a good mum, I've got my A Levels, and University is wide open for me. By the time baby is five, I'll have my degree. I plan to be Supermum, and not let a little 'bump' in the road stop me from living a great life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment